Mission East has a new Managing Director with extensive experience in relief work
PRESS RELEASE: Betina Gollander-Jensen is appointed as new Managing Director of Mission East with the starting date of January 1st, 2021. She comes from a position as international manager at Caritas and has previously been abroad with DANIDA and the UN.
Betina Gollander-Jensen is appointed as the new Managing Director of Mission East from the 1st of January 2021. She comes from a position as International Manager at Caritas Denmark.
Prior to that, she worked for Amnesty International, the Danish Refugee Council, the Danish Serum Institute and was sent out by both the UN Refugee Organization UNHCR and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to South and East Africa.
A unified board behind the decision
Betina Gollander-Jensen takes up the baton after Kim Hartzner, who co-founded Mission East 29 years ago and now continues in the organization as fundraiser.
- We are very excited about the appointment of Betina Gollander-Jensen as the new Secretary General of Mission East. We welcome her extensive experience with relief work around the world, says chairman of the board Torben Andersen with a unified board behind him.
- We are all confident for the future with Betina leading the organization. We feel that she also matches us and our values on a personal level.
Passion and quality in relief work
Betina Gollander-Jensen applied for the position because she could sense that it was a good match:
- I know Mission East and the reputation they have for doing a good job of helping the most vulnurable in the most remote areas, where few other organizations are present. It appealed to me to work for such an organization with a great passion and high-quality implementation.
Betina Gollander-Jensen grew up in a working-class family in Nakskov on Lolland-Falster.
- I myself am one of those who have had to be a pattern breaker. And I have enjoyed growing up in a society of opportunity, she says.
Local organizations are being equipped
Her background is a driving force in the relief work:
- I think that all people in this world have the right to the opportunity to live up to their full potential, Betina Gollander-Jensen points out.
In her position as Secretary General of Mission East, she will draw on her experience of local collaborations from the 11 years she has lived abroad:
- I strongly believe that we must help local organizations to become even better at sitting at the table in cooperation with local authorities and other NGOs. That's very much on my mind!
Innovation and stability must go hand-in-hand
Innovation and stability are some of the things she will prioritize on internally in Mission East:
- Among other things, I can contribute with innovation and collaboration with private companies. I have experience with Danish startups, which has provided solar-powered purification of water and solar-powered stoves to limit deforestation and CO2 emissions, she says.
But innovation must not affect the stability of the organization - on the contrary:
- We must look holistically at the organization and not just at one area. The things we do need to be done really well on the basis of a solid economy.
Recommendation from Caritas
Betina Gollander-Jensen receives a good recommendation from Caritas Denmark, where she has worked for six years:
- We are sad to say goodbye to Betina, but we wish her all the best of luck in the new position. Mission East receives a competent and dedicated Managing Director, and I would be proud to have her as my colleague, says Caritas' Managing Director Maria Krabbe Hammershøy.
Cooking, walks and board games
Betina Gollander-Jensen is married to Henrik Dahms. Together they have the children Johanna aged 16 and Jeppe aged 13.
In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, taking long walks and challenging the kids with a round of board games.